Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ciao!




Well if you remeber the classic European wet, dark, misty day that is what MArch has brought to Italy. Umbrella's aren't too helpful as the mist is all surrounding, and comes in under the umbrella even. We jsut finished our waash at the Post laundromat, and happy we are for it. When we wash in out little washer in the apartment( yes the one that your knees touch when you sit in the john), it only holds one sheet or towel, and then has to hang on radiators to dry all day. So one trip to the laundromat a week is worthwhile, and efficient ues of time. Yes, we do have to fight for machines.
We went to our first italian Pizzeria las weekend, the Pizza was amazing, although we were the first clients there. The italians do the bug lunch with naptime after from 12-3 everyafternoon, then think dinner around 8 PM. So we ordered one pizza,about 14", (only size) and it was very yummy, we shared. Then when everyone started coming in, we noticed everyone, even kids order their own, and eat it with a fork and knife.. Ugly tight,Americans! The we sat for a good 45 minutes waiting for our bill. We now know you go to the front when your done, pay and get the bill. Of course being first in and done, we couldn't learn that from watching.
Every Sunday we pick up Nigerians for church, that the missionaries have been teaching. From 3 to 1, depending on who is standing on the street dressed up and holing a BOM. Seems alot of Africans come here to work, and send kids to school through the 8th grade, then they send them back to Africa because they can't work or go to school. They have been hit by the layoffs here, and poor economy. I'm not sure how they get by.
Sunday at church most of the branch was sick, so Don and I did nursery(2), then I went in to teach Primary (two classes, 1 for 3-7 yr olds (4), and one for 8-12, (4). So i drew pictures of animals and played the game where they guess what animal is over their head, and read a scripture, and found a couple songs on the CD. All went well. In sacrament the amazing 17 year old piano player didn't show up, so one missionary played with one hand for the 30 or so of us there. Yes I think everyone bore testamony, even Bob. He is an investigator that is sure he has authority to bless, marry, and bury people through the Catholic church. Long story Bob.
It has been very hard to find places and time to get on the computer, to get the MAC working, and send reports, check in, and email. Hopefully it will all clear up by the end of this month. Then of course we will be driving the 2+ hours from the air base to here each week till June.
Love you all
XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Hey you two! What a great blog you've got and what a great mission you're having!
    I hope you don't mind, (Chris told me I could) I added your last post in the ward newsletter.
    If you'll get me your address, I'll send you the ward newsletter each month.
    My email is nc6news@comcast.net.
    Miss you guys, but love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Finally, I am in and operating...and so excited to be in communication with you! Your activities sound fun and challenging (knee-knocking washer and the hostel visit) I've heard from other friends that hostels are interesting places to stay. Although I am sure since the church owns it, it's more tolerable.

    Your travel adventures sound fun...okay maybe the Fiesta not so much, but the temple trip. How amazing it is that you've now been to the Swiss Temple.

    My hair would love the mist...I'd be sporting an afro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh brother...I am struggling. Apparently my daughter, Lindsey, changed my google acocunt so it reflects her name "Lindsey said". Good heavens, what next. Chris! It's me...RaNae...really...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh at your Pizza Restaurant experience because we had an identical experience in Italy. We were also the first in the restaurant because we were hungry at 6. The food was delicious but we waited and waited and no bill. Finally others started coming in to eat so we watched what they did and figured out we had to go to the front desk to pay. Of course, they wouldn't offer to tell us what to do! Such fun experiences. Great to hear from you. Gary and Joanne

    ReplyDelete